Since it was born, Gruma created its own industrial technology dept. TecnoMaiz, subsidiary of GRUMA.
Our plant is located in Ceggia, 40 km north of Venice. It was built in 1991 and it currently has a total capacity of 120.000 tons of corn per year.
We run 4 different processes:
- CORN MILLING PROCESS from which we obtain degermed corn flour and grits.
Degermed flours and grits are obtained by grinding the hard-vitreous part of the maize kernel. Such flours are used in the food industry for the production of snacks, beer, corn flakes, polenta, baked products and gluten-free products.
- NIXTAMAL PROCESS to produce masa flours which are the traditional ingredient used since ever by Mexicans to make tortillas and other typical basic products such as Tacos, Tortilla Chips, Nachos… More recently, Masa was successfully used in the food industry as a taste improver for pellet production, extruded products and other food preparations and its success has already spread well beyond Mexicans borders. Traditional Masa is produced through the “nixtamal” process where corn is cooked with a small quantity of lime. Through this process we obtain the required level of gelatinization and unique flavor. Fried products such as Taco shells and Chips have a better crunch and hardness.
We remark that on the European market pregelatinized corn flours are available. Sometimes they are traded as “masa” although they are cooked without a traditional nixtamal process. Main key elements of our masa production:
∎ GMO free supply chain
∎ Corn dough treated in a unique process
∎ Specific character of taste & flavor
∎ Less breakage
∎ Traceability from farm to fork
- MYCRONIZATION PROCESS to obtain extra fine granulation flours with a high level of gelatinization, due to the "mechanical cooking".
- GELATINIZATION PROCESS from which we get gelatinized flours.
Our packing lines are equipped with metal detectors and security sieves for external bodies ultimate protection and last generation of neodymium magnets
We have 2 automated packing lines for 25 - 50 kgs bags and 1 big bag loading station for 300 kgs up to 1.200 kgs
NDF internal laboratory is well equipped and can perform the following analysis:
- Gmo testing.
- Mycotoxins and microbiology.
- Soya detection.
- Gluten detection.
- Viscometry and pasting properties.
- Particle size distribution.
- Fat content.
- Water absorption.
- Ash content.
Our facility and our products are certified according to the following standards
- OHSAS 18001
- IP supply chain